Dependants allowance is a means tested allowance payable to students who are responsible for people who are wholly or mainly financially dependent on them during their time in training.
This can include:
- spouses, civil partners or partners
- dependent children including step children
- other dependant adults who are financially dependent on you for their day to day needs
When you apply for an NHS Bursary we will assess your eligibility for dependents allowance automatically.
Dependants allowance cannot be paid for:
- people who are in receipt of publicly-funded student support or if they are wholly or mainly supported by state benefits
- children who are over normal school age that are employed or have entered into higher education or a paid apprenticeship