If you're travelling to a non-UK country for planned medical treatment, you're not covered by your:

  • UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC)
  • UK European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

These certificates are for treatments that become medically necessary during your stay and you cannot reasonably wait until you’re back in the UK to get it.

You may be able to apply to have planned healthcare funded by the NHS if you meet the eligibility criteria through the S2 planned treatment route in:

  • the European Union (EU)
  • Norway
  • Iceland
  • Liechtenstein
  • Switzerland

The S2 planned treatment route

This is a direct funding arrangement between the NHS and the state healthcare provider in the country of your choice.

In some countries you must pay a percentage of the costs of your treatment. This is known as a ‘co-payment’.

If you hold a valid S2 certificate and can provide evidence, you can claim a refund for these co-payments. Any refund will normally be up to the the cost of the NHS Tariff. 

To apply for a refund, contact our helpdesk.

Find out how to apply and who's eligible to follow the S2 route.

To use the S2 route, you must get authorisation from NHS England and NHS Improvement (NHSEI) before receiving treatment.

You must apply through your Local Health Board for:

  • NHS Wales
  • Health and Social Care Board (HSCB) Northern Ireland
  • NHS Scotland