A British National Formulary (BNF) is a medical and pharmaceutical publication that contains information and advice on prescribing and pharmacology, along with specific facts and details about all medicines available on the NHS.
For information about the BNF & BNFC app or BNF Online please visit the official BNF website.
If you wish to purchase a copy for your NHS practice, you need to contact Pharmaceutical Press who are responsible for the distribution of the BNF. Contact information can be found on their website.
Telephone: 020 7735 9141
The BNF can be freely accessed online and the BNF app is available as a free download.
1.How do I access the BNF app on mobile?
- If you have an iPhone go to your app store and search for the BNF/BNFC app
- If you have an Android phone go to Google play and search for the BNF/BNFC app.
2. Do I need internet access for the app?
- You will need internet access to download the app for the first time but once downloaded you will not need an internet connection to use the BNF content. However you should update the content monthly to benefit from the most up-to-date information.
3. When will this change to accessing the BNF be effective from?
- Paper copies were historically distributed yearly, each October. The digital versions will take over from this October 2018.
4. Is it possible for paper copies to still be issued?
- We may be able to source and supply a paper copy in exceptional circumstances, from surplus BNFs distributed to other parts of the NHS. Please register your interest in receiving a copy via the online form at: https://www.snapsurveys.com/wh/s.asp?k=153553886772
5. Is there a digital alternative to the app, which can be used for a desktop PC?
- There is an online version of the BNF available at https://www.bnf.org/products/bnf-online/
For more information about how to download the apps and a list of further FAQs about the App please visit: https://www.bnf.org/products/bnfbnfcapp/