Evidence can include:

  • Tenancy agreement
  • Rent statement - on headed paper
  • Letter from landlord - on headed paper

If none of the above are available then you should provide a cover letter along with bank statements that clearly show regular monthly or weekly payments being deducted for rent payments. If you are the student and using rent to offset your own income we require statements covering the last three months. If your spouse / civil partner / partner has declared rent in the Dependants Allowance section we would require bank statements covering the previous financial year.

If you pay rent in cash or it is an informal agreement and you cannot provide bank statements either, the stated rent cannot be taken into account as an expense.