In order to demonstrate that you are independent due to having care of a child, you should provide the relevant child or children's birth certificates.

If you are provide a short version of the birth certificate (does not list the parent names) and/or you do not reside with the child's other parent, we may ask you to provide one of the following;

  • Tax Credits letter (showing children included in assessment)
  • Child Benefit Letter (showing children included in assessment)
  • Adoption certificates
  • Evidence of fostering (this must be recently dated)
  • Shared living arrangement confirmation (this could be a court order or a letter from the other parent)