Car and bicycle hire charges can be claimed if this was the cheapest form of transport to your placement. If this is the case, you will need to obtain a letter from your university, which officially certifies that this was the cheapest way of travelling to and from the placement. You may only claim:

  • the cost of hiring the car, bicycle or motorised scooter
  • the cost of the mileage to and from your placement site (payable at the normal rate of 28p per mile for motor scooter or vehicles, or 20p per mile for bicycles)
  • the cost of any car parking / tunnel tolls

The above information would also apply if you hire a car, bicycle or motorised scooter for the duration of your community placement and therefore are trying to claim community mileage.