If you have had any temporary or occasional absences from the UK within the 3 years prior to the first day of the first academic year, evidence of this can be as follows:

  • evidence of temporary employment abroad, such as a contract of employment or letter from employer 
  • evidence of gap year
  • evidence of continued links to the UK, such as proof of liability for UK tax, on-going mortgage payments or regular return visits to the UK
  • evidence of Armed Forces personnel on active service, such as payslips or a letter from employer
  • visitors visas
  • evidence of maintaining a UK home whilst abroad

The above examples can also be used to prove absences from the EU were temporary if your application is for tuition fees only

If you cannot obtain any of the evidence listed above, you should explain the reason why in a covering letter and provide any other available evidence that you feel supports your claim to being temporarily absent. You should also include as much detail as possible within this covering letter to explain the reasons for this absence and your circumstances while in that country.

Failure to provide any of the relevant evidence will result in the assessment of your application being delayed.