Taxable allowances are paid by an employer and can include company car payments or travel expenses.

The amounts can only be used to calculate your bursary if they're included on an HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) form:

  • P2
  • P11D
  • a self assessment form
  • certified accounts for those who are self-employed

Taxable allowances does not refer to your level of income before tax is deducted.