No, you must be responsible or have joint custody for the care of a dependent child or children (under 18 years of age) on the first day of the academic year in which you are applying for a bursary. If you no longer have care of a child and do not meet any of the other independent criteria in a continuing year, you will be assessed as a dependent student in those academic years.