If your status is due to change from dependent to independent, for example you are getting married or having your first child, after you are required to apply, how you complete your application will depend on your circumstances.

If the change is due to occur after your academic year starts you must apply as dependent initially and inform us of the change at a later date.

If the change is due to occur prior to the start of your academic year, you can choose how you apply.

You could wait until you have the relevant evidence to apply but risk delaying your first payments or apply as a dependent student initially with a view to changing this later. If you receive any payments based on your dependent student application that result in being incorrect due to the reassessment, an underpayment or overpayment may occur. This means that we will either pay you any missed payments as soon as possible or reduce your future payments accordingly.