If you've changed address, you must tell your GP before contacting us to update your details.

If there's a mismatch of addresses, you may receive a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN).

You'll not receive a replacement certificate as your current medical exemption certificate will remain valid.

If you need to update your name or date of birth, you must send us evidence by email or post.

Email address:


NHS Business Services Authority
Medical Exemption Certificates
Bridge House
152 Pilgrim Street
Newcastle upon Tyne

If you hold a paper certificate, you must return this before we can send you a replacement.

We recommend sending photocopies. If you send us original documents, these will be returned within 20 working days from the date you sent them.


To update the name on your medical exemption certificate, send us a photocopy or scanned image of one of the following documents showing your correct name:

  • marriage certificate
  • civil partnership certificate
  • deed poll including un-enrolled
  • passport
  • driving licence

We'll issue your new certificate within 10 working days of receiving your evidence.

If you have any NHS prescriptions to collect while waiting for your certificate to arrive, tick box 'E' on the back of your prescription. You do not need to pay as the pharmacy can tick the box marked 'Evidence not seen' on your prescription.

Date of birth

To update your date of birth, send us a photocopy or scanned image of one of the following documents:

  • birth certificate
  • passport
  • driving licence

Check what help you could get to pay for NHS costs and apply online.

Comments (0)