You can apply for a medical exemption certificate if you have one of the following medical conditions:

  • a permanent fistula which needs continuous surgical dressing or an appliance including caecostomy, colostomy, laryngostomy or ileostomy
  • a form of hypoadrenalism for which specific substitution therapy is essential including Addison’s Disease
  • diabetes insipidus and other forms of hypopituitarism
  • diabetes mellitus, except where treatment is by diet alone
  • hypoparathyroidism
  • myasthenia gravis
  • myxoedema which is hypothyroidism that needs thyroid hormone replacement
  • epilepsy which needs continuous anticonvulsive therapy
  • a continuing physical disability which means you cannot go out without the help of another person
  • cancer and are undergoing treatment for either cancer, the effects of cancer or the effects of cancer treatment

If you’re not sure about the name of your condition, speak to your doctor.

Check what help you could get to pay for NHS costs and apply online.

Comments (0)