You can apply for a MEDEX if you have one of the following medical conditions:
- a permanent fistula which needs continuous surgical dressing or an appliance including caecostomy, colostomy, laryngostomy or ileostomy
- a form of hypoadrenalismfor which specific substitution therapy is essential including Addison’s Disease
- diabetes insipidus and other forms of hypopituitarism
- diabetes mellitus, except where treatment is by diet alone
- myasthenia gravis
- myxoedema which is hypothyroidism that needs thyroid hormone replacement
- epilepsy which needs continuous anticonvulsive therapy
- a continuing physical disability which means you cannot go out without the help of another person
- cancer and are undergoing treatment for either:
- the effects of cancer
- the effects of cancer treatment.
These are the only conditions that entitle you to a MEDEX. If you’re not sure about the name of your condition, speak to your doctor.