If you've changed address, you must tell your GP before contacting us to update your details.

You'll not receive a replacement certificate as your current maternity exemption certificate will remain valid.

If you need to update your name or baby’s due date, you must send us evidence by email or post.



NHS Business Services Authority
Maternity Exemption Certificates
Bridge House
152 Pilgrim Street
Newcastle upon Tyne

We recommend sending photocopies. If you send us original documents, these will be returned within 20 working days from the date you sent them.


Send us a photocopy or scanned image of one of the following documents showing your correct name:

  • marriage certificate
  • civil partnership certificate
  • deed poll
  • passport
  • driving licence

If you have a paper certificate, you must return this.

We’ll issue your certificate within 10 working days once we’ve received your email or letter.

If you have any NHS prescriptions to collect while waiting for your certificate to arrive, tick box 'D' on the back of your prescription. You do not need to pay as the pharmacy can tick the box marked 'Evidence not seen' on your prescription.

Due date

If your baby's due date is earlier or your child was born earlier than expected, you can continue to use your existing maternity exemption certificate to claim free NHS prescriptions until it expires.

If the due date is later than expected but your certificate will expire after the baby is due, use the existing certificate until the birth. Once the baby is born, send a copy of the birth certificate to us.

If your certificate will expire before your baby is due, send us a copy of a letter from the midwife or GP confirming the correct due date or a copy of your MAT B1 form. If you have a paper certificate, this must be returned to us by post.

Comments (0)