This depends on which of your personal details have changed.

If your personal details on your HC2 or HC3 certificate do not match the details held by your dental practice or pharmacy, you may receive an enquiry letter or Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) in error.

You must make sure the details held by your practice or pharmacy match your certificate.


If you've changed your name, you need a new certificate to show this.

Send a covering letter and a photocopy of either your:

  • marriage certificate
  • civil partnership certificate
  • deed poll
  • passport

You can send this by email or post.



NHS Business Services Authority
Bridge House
152 Pilgrim Street
Newcastle upon Tyne


If you've moved address, you do not need a new certificate. You can continue using your existing certificate.

You must update your address with your dentist & GP practice so it matches your certificate.

Email us your new address at so we can update our records.

If you have an HC3 certificate and your financial circumstances have changed, you may want to reapply.

Check what help you could get to pay for NHS costs and apply online.