The help you're entitled to depends on which NHS exemption certificate you hold. Check your exemption on our website.
NHS maternity exemption certificate (MATEX)
A maternity exemption certificate entitles you to free NHS prescriptions only.
Being pregnant also entitles you to free NHS dental treatment and this is available until your baby turns one year old. With NHS dental treatment, it's the pregnancy and the age of your child that gives you an entitlement, not the certificate itself.
NHS medical exemption certificate (MEDEX)
A medical exemption certificate entitles you to receive free NHS prescriptions.
NHS tax credit exemption certificate
The certificate entitles you, your partner (if you have one) and any dependent children included in your tax credit claim to:
- free NHS prescriptions
- free NHS dental treatment
- free NHS sight tests
- help with the cost of glasses or contact lenses
- free NHS wigs and fabric supports
- help with the cost of travel to receive NHS treatment
You can also get help with travel costs:
- In England, travel to receive NHS treatment if referred by a doctor or dentist.
- In Scotland, travel to a hospital to receive necessary NHS treatment.
- In Wales, travel to receive NHS treatment whilst under the care of a consultant.
You cannot claim towards the cost of travelling to visit your GP or dentist for a routine appointment or check-up.