Subject to certain conditions, you may allocate part of your pension to provide for a pension to be paid after your death to another person. That person may be a spouse, civil partner, nominated partner or someone who is dependent upon you for support.

Choosing to allocate will result in a permanent reduction to your own retirement pension, effective immediately from the time at which you claim your pension.

If you apply for allocation in favour of your spouse, civil partner, or nominated qualifying partner, they will get the allocated pension in addition to any survivor pension that they may be eligible to receive from the scheme.

Please note: an application to allocate part of your pension can only be submitted before your pension benefits are put into payment. If you have already retired, it is not possible to apply for allocation.

For more information please see the Allocation factsheet in the ‘Applying for your pension’ section of our website.

Related Articles (1)