If you are a married man with scheme membership accrued within the scheme or outside of it and transferred in prior to 25 March 1972, or if you are a woman who has elected to purchase a larger Widowers Pension from your lump sum you may receive a smaller lump sum on retirement.

If you owe any monies to NHS Pensions or to your employer and elect to repay these monies from your retirement lump sum this may also account for the reduction to your lump sum.