If the personal details on your HC2 or HC3 certificate do not match the details held by your dental practice or pharmacy, you may receive an enquiry letter or Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) in error.

Make sure the details held by your practice or pharmacy match your certificate to avoid letters in future.

How to change the details on your HC2 or HC3 certificate depends on what you need to change: 


If you've changed your name, you need a new certificate to show this. Send a covering letter and a photocopy of one of the following:

  • marriage certificate
  • civil partnership certificate
  • deed poll
  • passport
  • Decree Absolute

Send this to or by post to:

NHS Business Services Authority
Bridge House
152 Pilgrim Street
Newcastle upon Tyne


If you've moved address you do not need a new certificate, you can continue using your existing certificate. However, you should tell us your new address so we can update our records:

If you have HC3 certificate and your financial circumstances have changed you may want to reapply.

Check what help you could get to pay for NHS costs and apply online.