You can request your application for ill health retirement benefits to be dealt with urgently, if you’ve been given a terminal diagnosis, with less than twelve months to live.

If you’re in NHS employment, your employer should email a scanned copy of the AW33E application form, AW8 and if applicable AW341 claim forms to

If you’re no longer in NHS employment, you must complete Part 1 of form AW240. 

Your GP or consultant must complete Part 2.

You must also complete form AW8P and if applicable form AW341.  

You should email both forms to:

Your application will be dealt with immediately and forwarded to the Scheme's medical advisers.

It may be possible to take your pension as a one-off lump sum.

Find out if you can claim your pension as a one-off lump sum. 

Comments (0)