An ‘exportable benefit’ is a benefit you can claim while living outside of the UK.

If you get one of the following exportable benefits, you may be entitled to healthcare paid for by the UK by applying for an S1 form:

  • State Pension
  • War Pension
  • Maternity Allowance
  • Incapacity benefit
  • Job Seekers Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Child Benefit

Bereavement Support Payment (BSP) and Bereavement Allowance (BA) are not exportable benefits and will not entitle you to an S1.

Changes to who can get an S1 form

The rules have changed around S1 cover for people who claim the following exportable benefits:

  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Carer's Allowance (CA)
  • Attendance Allowance (AA)

From 1 January 2021, you can no longer apply for a new S1 form if you receive one of these benefits.

You may be entitled to an S1 form through exporting a UK State Pension or other qualifying benefit if you're in scope of the Withdrawal Agreement.

If you have an S1 form issued using one of these benefits before 1 January 2021, you'll continue to be covered by your S1 form for as long as you're receiving one of these benefits.

If you have a time-limited S1 form, you can apply to renew it if you're still getting one of these benefits.

Comments (0)