The UK has reciprocal healthcare agreements with some non-EU countries. Within these countries, you’ll often be treated as if you were a resident of the country you’re visiting.

A full list of countries the UK has a reciprocal healthcare agreement with can be found on the website.

You may be asked to show evidence you're a UK citizen or a current resident of the country. For example, a passport, driver’s licence, proof of national insurance enrolment or a utility bill.

There are differences in what treatment is available depending on the country you are in. Generally, only immediate medical treatment is provided free of charge, to allow visitors to return home for other needs.

The agreements do not cover:

  • the cost of returning you to the UK (repatriation)
  • routine monitoring of pre-existing conditions

Medical services may also be more restricted than under the NHS. Make sure you have a valid private travel insurance policy when travelling to any country worldwide.

Comments (0)