You can claim a refund of a Prescription Prepayment Certificate (PPC) if the PPC holder becomes entitled to free NHS prescriptions.

Refunds must be claimed within 3 months of when the PPC holder became entitled. They can only be claimed if:

  • they became entitled in the first month of a 3 month PPC or,
  • they became entitled before the last month of a 12 month PPC.

Qualifying benefit or War Pension

If the PPC holder receives a qualifying benefit or has a War Pension, send us a copy of the benefit award letter or certificate:


Policy Refunds
Bridge House
152 Pilgrim Street
Newcastle upon Tyne

If the qualifying benefit is Universal Credit, we need to see the award notices covering the 4 most recent assessment periods. If it's a new claim and they do not have 4 award notices, we need to see all that have been received to date.

Paper PPC's must be destroyed.

Exemption certificate

If the PPC holder has a valid exemption certificate, contact our helpdesk to claim the refund. Exemption certificates include:

  • NHS Tax Credit Exemption Certificate (TAX)
  • HC2 certificate
  • Maternity Exemption Certificate (MATEX)
  • Medical Exemption Certificate (MEDEX).

Full-time education

If the PPC holder is aged 16, 17, or 18 and has returned to full-time education, send us a covering letter with evidence of the course.

Paper PPC's must be destroyed.

Comments (0)