You can apply for a UK Global Health Insurance Card (UK GHIC) if you’re a UK resident who is currently studying in an European Union (EU) country, Montenegro or Switzerland.

Apply for a UK GHIC.

Information about who is entitled to healthcare in Switzerland.

Studying in Montenegro

If you’re studying in Montenegro, you will not be able to make an application using the online portal.

Instead, email your application to

Once you have applied, you will receive an email asking to provide evidence from your place of study.

If you’re a non-UK national student, you will also need to provide evidence that you have EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) status or have the right to reside in the UK, such as:

  • evidence of your EUSS status
  • UK or Irish passport
  • UK birth certificate
  • certificate of UK Naturalisation
  • biometric residence permit (both sides)
  • permanent residence certificate
  • an Accession State Worker Registration Scheme certificate

The UK GHIC will provide you with healthcare cover when travelling in EU Member States and will be valid for the duration of your course.

If you are studying in Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, your UK GHIC will only cover you in EU countries, and not the country in which you are studying.