If you're permanently moving abroad, an S1 form entitles you to the same state-provided healthcare cover as a citizen of that country.

Read more about who can apply for an S1 form.

European Union (EU) country, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein

An S1 form covers your healthcare in the EU country, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein.

Read who's entitled to healthcare in Switzerland.

An S1 will cover you in Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein if you moved:

  • before 1 January 2021
  • on or after 1 January 2024

If you moved between 1 January 2021 and 31 December 2023, your entitlement will start from 1 January 2024 at the earliest unless you were within the scope of the Withdrawal Agreement.

Republic of Ireland

Although the Republic of Ireland is an EU country, you do not need an S1 form to access healthcare if you’re a UK citizen.

If you’re a UK citizen living in Ireland, you’re automatically entitled to state healthcare on the same basis as an Irish citizen.

Read more information on the GOV.UK website.

Montenegro, Saint Helena, Ascension Island and Tristan de Cunha

If you’ve moved to Montenegro, Saint Helena, Ascension Island or Tristan de Cunha, an S1 cannot be issued.

If you’re temporarily visiting the country, you can apply for a UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) or a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

Comments (0)