You may be eligible for a UK Global Health Insurance Card (UK GHIC) if you’re:

  • legally living in the UK and you do not have healthcare cover provided by a EU country, Switzerland, Norway Iceland or Liechtenstein 
  • living in the EU or Switzerland with a registered S1 form issued by the UK
  • living in the EU with an A1 document which is issued by the UK
  • a family member or dependant of an entitled individual already listed

Apply for a UK GHIC.

Further information on UK residents studying in an EU country.

Further information for people living in the EU.

Overseas residents studying in the UK

If you’re a student from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein studying in the UK, you need a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) issued by your home country.

You need to present this card to access necessary medical care in the UK.

You can find more information on the NHS website.

Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office employees

If you are a Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) employee you can apply for a UK GHIC by emailing

You can still complete an application if you are posted overseas to an EU or non-EU country.